Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Q A with Deirdre Verne

Q A with Deirdre Verne


This week, we sat down with Deirdre Verne, debut author of Drawing Conclusions, which was released last month!

Midnight Ink: How long have you been writing?

Deirdre Verne: I�ve been writing on and off for eight years. The first few years were exploratory�thinking through potential plots and characters. The last five years have been full steam ahead.

MI: What influence have other authors had on your writing?

DV: When my oldest son was a year old, he caught the flu. I was up all night, every night. A friend handed me the first three Janet Evanovich books to keep me occupied, and I was hooked from the first page.

I�m also a big fan of Harlan Coben and Nelson DeMille. 


MI: If you weren�t a writer, what would you be doing?

DV: Writing is my third career.  I worked for ten years as a marketing professional after college. Then, I became a college professor.  As for a fourth career, I have visions of running a bed and breakfast in a seaside town. I�m not sure I can pull this off, but it�s definitely on my bucket list.

MI: If you have a job outside of writing, what is it?

DV: I�ve been teaching marketing for fifteen years at Westchester Community College. I have a popular college blog where I unravel the mystery of what is really going on in a teacher�s head. 

MI: What is/are your favorite thing/s to do when you�re not writing or working?

DV: My main character, CeCe Prentice, is a dumpster-diver. Although I have pulled some choice pieces of furniture out of dumpsters, I much prefer a good flea market or antique fair. However, if the opportunity to dive presents itself, I�m game.  I recently salvaged a set of antique windows from my neighbor�s renovation project and had the windows converted into a china cabinet.

MI: Who is your favorite mystery sleuth and why?

DV: I have a crush on Nelson DeMille�s Detective John Corey. He�s got the right balance of sarcasm and swagger.

MI: Do you have a favorite murder case from a book (either yours or another author�s)?

DV: A few years ago, a publishing insider gave me an advanced review copy of the third book in Stieg Larsson�s  Millenium trilogy. I couldn�t bring myself to read it because I didn�t want the series to end.  The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo was such a great read that I�m still saving The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet�s Nestfor a rainy day.
 
MI: How does it feel to have your first book published? Tell us about your publishing journey.

DV: Unlike other creative careers, writing is difficult to communicate until your book is published.  A musician can hum a few bars and a painter can hang a painting. I�m sure other authors would agree that there is nothing more awkward than explaining that you write without anything to show as evidence. As a result, having a physical book in hand feels really good.  

MI: What was your inspiration for this series and/or book?

DV: My inspiration for this series was the positive energy surrounding the Green movement. I�d love to tell readers that I�m an avid environmentalist or that I�m growing my own food, but the reality is that I�m a pretty average consumer. The topic, however, truly interests me and I think it�s important.  As a result of writing this series, I�ve tried to change my family�s consumption behavior, and I hoping to continue on this path.

MI: Tell us about CeCe.

DV: CeCe Prentice always takes the road less traveled, never looking over her shoulder to see if she made the right decision.  She�s confident and challenging with a razor-sharp wit, and although you might be put off by her life choices, you�ll quickly find she�s a steadfast friend. 

MI: Do you have a pet? Tell us about him/her.

DV: Welcome to our on-going family debate. My husband and children want a cat. I want a dog. This stalemate has been going on for two years and I�d like to open the voting up to readers.  Dog or cat? Please help us decide.

MI: If you don�t have a pet, do you have a favorite animal?

DV: Clearly, I�m a dog person, but I married a cat person. Maybe there�s a support group for us?

MI: What food could you live off of for the rest of your life?

DV: Grilled cheese on rye with bacon and tomato. Unfortunately, I can�t remember the last time I had one!

MI: Do you have a favorite recipe?

DV: I cook a good old-fashioned family meal at least five nights a week. I do this under protest, but my family seems appreciative and my children are meeting their growth chart milestones, so the meals keep coming.  My children�s favorite is chicken potpie. Like all of my meals, I don�t use a recipe.  I make it up as I go, but I�d be happy to share my favorite staple�College Inn chicken stock.

MI: What�s your favorite part about being an Inker?

DV: Writing is lonely, especially when you�re toiling away as unpublished author. I�m gratefully for the support and friendship I received as a member of Midnight Ink.

 Drawing Conclusions is available online and in bookstores now!

download file now

download
alternative link download